We’re excited to launch our “Practice Safe Sun” campaign, an initiative to provide free sunscreen and chapstick across the state of Maryland to inform consumers about the importance of protecting their skin.
Skin cancer can strike at ANY TIME or at ANY AGE. A lot of people think that they are not at risk because they are not tanning or out at the beach every day. However, people who fall in any of these categories are susceptible to skin cancer:
- The long commuter – Maryland residents have an average commute of about 30 minutes each way. And 15% of MD workers drive longer than 60 minutes to work. That’s roughly 20-40 hours of sun exposure per month.
- The avid golfer – An average round of golf (18 holes) takes about 4 hours. Spending weekends on the course could add up to 25-50 hours of sun exposure each month.
- The beach goer – Even if it is not optimal weather, you can still get burned. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, up to 80% of the sun’s UV rays can pass through the clouds.
- The gardener and lawn fanatic – Some gardeners spend up to 20 hours a week mowing, planting, weeding, etc. And most times, areas of their skin are exposed and sunscreen is not reapplied.
To reach all of the groups mentioned above, we have partnered with some amazing community organizations and companies Stop by any of these locations to pick up your free samples! And upload pictures protecting your skin with #CheckYourself.
Anne Arundel County
- AA Co Farm, Lawn & Garden Center
- Homestead Gardens Davidsonville
- Homestead Gardens Severna Park
- Back River Recreation Center
- Carroll Park Golf Course
- Caves Valley Golf Club
- Clifton Park Golf Course
- Cockeysville Community Center
- Country Club of Maryland
- Eastern Regional Park
- Elmwood Elementary SRC
- Forest Park Golf Course
- Glyndon Gardens
- Gray Manor Park
- Loch Raven Community Center
- Mount Pleasant Golf Course
- North Point Village Park
- Pine Ridge Golf Course
- Sparrows Point High School Concession
- Sweet Air & Jacksonville Recreation Center
- Valley View Farms
- Woodholme Country Club
- Bay Hundred Community Pool
- George Murphy Community Pool
- Robin’s Nest Floral & Garden Center
- Talbot County Visitor Center
Queen Anne’s County
And this entire campaign would not be possible without are amazing sponsors:
Platinum Sponsor: Goddess Garden
Gold Sponsor: Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen