What is Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is a safe and highly effective way of exfoliation. During the procedure, a blade shaves and removes the top-most layer of dead skin and unwanted vellus hairs, the baby-fine hairs on your face. In less than thirty minutes you can achieve healthier, brighter and revitalized skin with no downtime!
What are the benefits?
- Immediate exfoliation
- A luminous glow that lasts for weeks
- Faster cell turnover that produces fresher skin
- Smoother texture that can help makeup go on evenly
- Enhanced absorption of products
- Increase in proteins that fight signs of aging
- Evens hyperpigmentation and brown spots
- Reduces skin discoloration and scars
- Removes dirt and oil that is built up on skin
- Removes peach fuzz to create ultra-smooth look
Who should use it?
- You want to exfoliate your skin for a bright glow
- You have excess vellus of hair (peach fuzz) on the skin and want this removed
- You are nursing or pregnant and want a deep exfoliation but can’t use peels or other chemical-related cosmetic procedures
- You have super sensitive skin and can’t use certain products or cosmetic procedures
Keep in mind that you can’t dermaplane on skin where you have acne.
Where can you get the procedure?
Although some at-home and Do-it-Yourself kits are available, it is advised to only get the cosmetic procedure done by trained individuals. Since the procedure involves a surgical scalpel being pulled across facial skin, it is important that only trained estheticians and specialists perform this procedure.
Some people argue that since dermaplaning has the same basic premise as shaving that anyone should be able to perform the procedure. Again, it is important to note that in the procedure a surgical scalpel is used which is very different from the blade used in shaving.
What is the recovery time?
The procedure is virtually painless and there is no recovery time. The process can be repeated every 3-4 weeks. Your hair will not grow in darker and/or thicker. Shaving does not increase the density or quality of hair.