Memorial Day Weekend is upon us! The unofficial start of summer has come and we’re here to help you get ready for your weekend. If you’re headed to the beach or pool, remember to pack these items for the best sun protection:
- Sunscreen is essential for everyday use, but most importantly when you are outside while the sun is out. Make sure to check your sunscreen isn’t expired and is water-resistant. Apply generously and reapply every 80 minutes.
- Hat – Wearing a hat is a great way to help shade yourself from the sun’s harmful rays. Wear a hat that provides shade to your head, face, neck, and ears. Broad-brimmed hats give the best UV protection.
- Sunglasses – While most people wear these for fashion purposes, they also protect our eyes from the sun’s rays. Over time, these rays can damage the eyes and surrounding skin. Look for sunglasses that offer UV protection as these are most efficient in protecting the eyes.
- Umbrella or sun shade – Seek shade when possible. The sun’s rays are so strong that they can damage the skin after just 15 minutes. Bring a sunshade or umbrella with you to escape from the sun.
- After-sun lotion – Your skin needs to recover after being in the sun all day. Applying lotion helps repair the skin and restores any moisture that it may have lost during your time in the sun.