Spring is a season of replacing the old with the new! So why not do the same for your skin care routine? No matter where you are in your personal skin care regimen, it is never too late for a fresh start. Whether you’re using a few simple products or have a high-end routine, there are many ways to keep your skin looking and feeling flawless. Here are a few steps to build a successful skin care routine:
- Choose a goal: From treating dry or oily skin, anti-aging, acne or just simple skin maintenance, choose a goal to help you narrow which products you may want to use in an every day routine. For example, someone focused on maintaining youthful skin may want to use an eye cream every night, while someone combating acne may not want to use heavier products.
- Use the Basics:
- Cleanser: Washing your face every morning and night is the most basic step of a skin care routine. A gel cleanser is best for deep cleaning, while a cream cleanser is good for those with dry skin. For oily or combination skin, try a foam cleanser or a cleansing bar.
- Toner: Toners are applied after washing the face and used to remove any excess impurities. They are typically applied by swiping a product-filled cotton pad across the forehead, nose and cheeks.
- Moisturizers: The last step is moisturizing. If applying in the morning, be sure that your moisturizer includes SPF to protect your skin from the sun. In the evening or during winter months, apply a heavier moisturizer to keep your skin feeling hydrated and soft.
3. Extras: Now that your everyday products are established, here are a few extra at-home treatments that will give your skin a boost:
- Sheet masks: These masks can be found at any drug store and are sold individually. They are an inexpensive way to try different treatments to find what works for you!
- Exfoliators/Scrubs: When applied 1-2 times a week, exfoliators will ensure your skin stays radiant. Like sheet masks, they can also be found in drug stores.
- Serums: These highly concentrated treatments are used to focus on one particular issue such as wrinkles, discoloration or pore minimization. Just a little bit of serum goes a long way!
- Eye creams: Special attention can be given to the eyes because they are one of the most sensitive part of the face. Eye creams can reduce the appearance of fine lines and keep the area moisturized.
If you are experiencing problems with your skin or skin care routine, we always recommend that you visit a clinician. To schedule an appointment, please click here!